It’s one of the appliances you rarely think about until you step into a cold shower. That’s when you realize you’ve been taking your hot water heater for granted. That’s when you can’t wait – you need it fixed immediately! If you’re considering replacing your hot water heater, you should know that you have options. In this post, we’ll take a look at a few of the differences between traditional tank water heaters and tankless water heaters.
IN THE TANK
Traditional tank-based water heaters are still the most common, due to their reliability. However, even newer models can leave something to be desired in terms of efficiency. Because water has to be continuously heated, you’ll spend more money on electricity.
Tankless water heaters are gaining in popularity because of a few advantages:
- Smaller: Traditional tanks take up an entire utility closet, while tankless units are much smaller and can attach to the wall, allowing for increased storage space.
- Efficiency: Tankless water heaters will save you money on your electric bill. That’s because they only heat as much water as is needed, right as it’s being used, instead of constantly working to keep an entire tank of water warm.
- Endurance: Your hot water will not run out if you have multiple people showering. Because the water is heated as it enters your home, it will stay hot. Traditional tanks can run out of hot water and take a while to refill and reheat.
Of course, there are reasons traditional tanks are still widely used:
- Home size: Larger homes that use and need more water can often be more comfortable with a full tank. This is especially true if you have more than the usual number of bathrooms and other appliances that rely on hot water.
- Installation: The infrastructure for traditional tanks is typically already in place. A tankless water heater will require some new installation. The good news is that once they’re in place, the long-term maintenance costs are low.
WE’LL COME RUNNING
Most times we get a call about a hot water heater, people are in desperate need of repairs or replacement. We’re there in those situations, but sometimes it’s good to think about your options ahead of time. City Plumbing proudly sells Noritz Tankless Water Heaters. If you’re ready to talk, make an appointment today by calling 432-366-2401. Give us a call, and we’ll come running!